A new fence will soon be installed around the Coventry football field.
During the March 13 meeting, the Board of Education approved a purchase order for $23,700 for the new fence.
Superintendent Lisa Blough said the fence has needed to be replaced for the last two to three years because portions of it are falling over. She said people like to lean on the fence during football games and the condition has now become a safety hazard.
Some questions were raised about whether to replace only a portion of it, but Blough said it would be best to replace the entire fence so it is all consistently the same. She believes the district got a good price for the project and replacing the entire fence at the same time is the right thing to do.
In other business March 13, the board:
– Approved a preschool agreement with Summit County Educational Service Center.
– Approved a building lease agreement with Summit County Educational Service Center. One classroom will be leased for one year for the preschool program.
– Approved for the district to give the third grade state testing on paper instead of on a computer. Teachers said they prefer the students to take the tests on paper as they are more likely to score higher at that age by taking it on paper instead of on a computer.
– Heard from Treasurer Sherry Tyson about the 2018 audit being completed by the state. She said the audit will be posted on the auditor’s website in the next two weeks.
– Heard from Blough about open enrollment. She said the district continues to right-size programs and the district is down about 200 open enrolled students. She said the number of open enrolled students at the elementary school decreased significantly as the district only accepted about 15 open enrollment kindergarten students compared to 40 to 50 in years past. She said open enrollment numbers are based on the number of resident students. Blough said some open enrollment students moved into the district recently.
– Announced the Taste of Coventry will be held 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. April 25 at Bricco Prime. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased at Ayers Insurance Agency, 500 W Turkeyfoot Lake Road or by calling 330-644-8489 extension one.
The next Coventry Local Schools board meeting will be 6 p.m. April 17 at Coventry Elementary School.
This story was also published in The Suburbanite. www.thesuburbanite.com